The Hummingbot Foundation is a not-for-profit organization established in the Cayman Islands. The Foundation’s mission is to democratize high-frequency trading by maintaining the open-source Hummingbot code repository and the HBOT governance system.
The official Foundation bylaws are located at: https://hummingbot.org/bylaws.pdf.
Below are the core principles that underpin Hummingbot’s development:
- Open Source: The Hummingbot codebase is publicly available, auditable, and free
- Modular: Hummingbot modules can be independently built, used, and maintained by community members
- Extensible: Users can use Hummingbot to create any automated trading strategy on every exchange and blockchain
- All Levels: Hummingbot is designed for use by individuals and professionals alike
The Foundation staff handles the day-to-day operations of maintaining the Hummingbot codebase and the Foundation governance system, such as:
- Reviewing and merging pull requests
- Administering monthly polls and elections
- Maintaining the Snapshot voting system
- Managing the Discord server
- Assigning and managing developer bounties
- Packaging monthly releases into Docker containers for various environments
- Maintaining and updating the Hummingbot website and documentation site
A 5-person Board of Directors provides oversight over the Foundation staff. See Board for more details.
The primary purpose of Hummingbot Foundation is to enable a decentralized, bazaar-style model of software development for the Hummingbot codebase.
See Governance for more details.
As an open source project, Hummingbot Foundation is committed to transparency. Each month, we publish a report that lists its sources and uses of income for the past month, as well as its fiat and crypto treasury balance.
See Reporting for more details.
Launched in April 2019, Hummingbot began as a simple open source market making bot. Today, it has evolved into a extensible framework that lets you create custom trading strategies on any crypto exchange.
Read our origin story and see History for more details.